|Goals of the Showcase||Back to Top|
Our ambition is to create an amazing show each month that will generate large crowds to support what we all love to do. Since the showcase encompasses many skill levels and dance styles, we have two distinct dance sets. The first dance set will be a student or non-professional dance set. This will allow students or new dancers to get introduced to dancing in a professional setting. This dance set will be first in the show line-up. The second dance set will be a professional dance set. This will comprise the remainder of the show. We did not want to lose sight of the original idea of the Cafe being a place where students can perform, thus having a student dance set will still allow this growth potential for them. Creating a separate professional dance set will allow professionals and teachers to demonstrate their abilities and also help create business opportunities.
|Registering||Back to Top|
To be able to sign up for the lottery for a showcase, you first must be registered in our system. Please email the following information to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Your name (not your dance name), this will be used in a drop down box when you sign up for the lottery
- Your dance name
- Your instructor's name
- How long you have been studying belly dance
- How long since your last class/workshop
- Indicate if you are an instructor
- A password - there is no security guarantee so please do not use a password that you use for other important matters
We will determine which dance set you will perform in. You may need to perform at a showcase as a student/enthusiast until we can make a determination.
|What is a Professional Belly Dancer?||Back to Top|
We realize that there are a lot of criteria that determine whether someone is a professional belly dancer and not everyone will agree what those criteria are and if someone meets those criteria. However, here are a few that we consider to be necessary to be classified as a professional:
- Someone who teaches or performs for pay
- Someone who derives most or all of their income by teaching or performing
- Someone who holds themselves out to the community as a professional (not student) teacher or performer
If you are a teacher or professional that also dances with a troupe or group that has several members that are students or non-professionals, please classify the group as a student/enthusiast. You can classify yourself as a professional when you are doing a solo or dancing with a mostly professional group.
|Showcase Expectations||Back to Top|
Here are a few things that are expected of the performers before and during a showcase:
- Please arrive at the Juggling Gypsy no later than 15 minutes before showtime performance ready.
- There is no dressing room area and space is limited, so please limit the number of items you bring with you.
- You need to bring and wear a cover up and you must remain in the green room during the show.
- Your music needs to be submitted two weeks (12 days) prior to the show date and only in .mp3 format.
- Please make sure you have a reasonably professional belly dance costume. Please no plain bras, gym pants, yoga pants, etc.
- Please no smoking in front of the cafe. If you need to smoke, there is an area out back.
|Monies Earned||Back to Top|
The showcase usually generates door money and tip money. Keeping with belly dance standards and ethics, we are going to distribute any earnings from the door money evenly among the professional belly dance acts, musicians and DJ. We will distribute any earnings from the tip money evenly among all of the acts, musicians and DJ. Although, students are usually not paid, we feel that tip money is not considered payment but a show of gratitude from the audience for the entire performance and thus should be divided evenly by the entire show. Please remember, the performances at the café are not for profit but for the thrill and experience of performing your creative endeavors. There is no guarantee of payment at any showcase.